- Category: Museum Artifacts
In March of 2001 Ralph Schoolcraft donated his beautiful Steinway Square Box Grand Piano to the Drum Barracks Garrison & Society. Based on its serial number, 19,135, the piano was built in 1869. Seven feet long with polished rosewood finish, this style of piano was quite popular in the 1860s and 1870s. Mr. Schoolcraft did minimal restoration on the exterior which was in good condition. However, restoring the internal mechanisms took over three years of careful, detailed effort.
Today, visitors are welcomed to play the instrument and many special events include performances by pianists, singers and groups of musicians in the Parlor.